Bradford (Greenfield Stadium) Greyhound Track
The Greenfield Athletic and trotting track was a six acre site adjacent to School Street on Cutler Heights Lane in Dudley Hill before the Bradford Northern Rugby team arrived in 1907. The rugby team rented the ground for £8 from Whitakers Brewery and built a grandstand costing over £300 despite then leaving the following year in 1908. It reverted to its former use and was known as the Yorkshire Trotting and Athletic Grounds until greyhound racing came onto the scene in 1926.
The track was ready for business by 1927 and opened in October of that year. The first month however was a testing time because on the 29th October Bradford suffered severe gales and the football team lost the roof of their enclosure and the greyhound track lost the roof from both stands.
The Electric Hare Company, Liverpool had a major stake in the track as did the Greyhound Racing Association and they traded as the Greenfield Greyhound Racing Association overseen by general manager J.C.Ridley.
In 1932 trainer Jimmy Rimmer set an incredible record of 504 winners in one year whilst attached to the track, Rimmer was of course famous as being the slipper at the Waterloo Cup for many years.
Greenfield experienced a major achievement in 1933 when they were represented by Deemsters Mike in the greyhound Derby final. It was a remarkable that such a small track had made the final. The brindle dog trained by Fred Livesly also went on to win the Northern Flat.
The track was described as a well laid out course with a good run-in to the finish and suitable for all types of runners. There was an ‘Outside Sumner’ hare and race distances of 310, 500, 650 and 700 yards on a circuit with a 420 yard circumference.
The stadium entrances sat alongside the Greenfield Hotel and the popular club stand, on the opposite side of the track was the stadium club stand where the finishing line was located. Behind this stand fifty race day kennels and paddock provided the hounds housing. Even further behind these were the residential kennels described as sleeping kennels. Between the first and second bends a third stand called the Padden Connel club brought the total spectator capacity to 7,000 patrons.
Another noteworthy success arrived in 1952 after the track reached the final of the national track championship sponsored by the News of the World only to lose out to Eastville 19-11.
The main event at the track was the Super Radio Cup and Speedway briefly took place between 1961 and 1962. A greyhound called Burniston Boy won two Produce Stakes competitions in 1963.
The site closed on 5th March 1969 after being bought by Morrison’s for industrial units (1° 43′ 21.818″W 53° 46′ 34.124″N).