Staines Greyhound Track
Staines Greyhound track opened on 28th January 1928 at Hythe End just north of the River Thames, South of Wraysbury Road. Previously this area was unpopulated rural that today makes up some of the Colne Valley Parks. There is a wonderful 1928 picture of the track on the website (Britain From Above) link – http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw023479
Although this track was affiliated to a governing body for some time it led much of its existence as an independent. As seen by the picture there was only one small stand available for the comfort of patrons.
In 1937 it was one of three tracks chosen to attempt the short lived Cheetah racing and in 1938 a Putt Mossman Motorcycle rodeo took place (this was a form of motorcycle tricks and skills). Stock car racing was also popular here during the late fifties.
Staines owner Jack Walsh was in partnership with fellow bookmaker William Hill and they won the English Derby with Lone Keel in 1938.
Not as lot is known about the layout of the track but it is known to have held a maximum of 5,000 spectators and supplied a tote with a turnover in 1947 of £47,165.
The track closed in 1960 and was dismantled in 1965 making way for a huge section of M25 cutting through the nearby land west of the Queensmead Lake Reservoir.